Makeovers on The Mile
I’m a city girl at heart who has always had a soft spot for the beauty world. And what better place than right here on The Magnificent Mile to explore some of the best names in beauty? I love trying new products and services to see which is right for me. Read below for my experience at various stores and salons and check out my recommendations!
Written by: Andrianna Rae
Kiehl’s is located right on The Magnificent Mile, accessible both at street level and from inside The Shops at North Bridge! Kiehl’s is an American cosmetics brand retailer which specializes in premium skin, hair, and body care products. Kiehl’s originally started as a single pharmacy in Manhattan, New York and has since branched out internationally.
Looking for your skin to look and feel smooth and silky? Stop by Kiehl’s and have them customize your skin care products. Make sure to try some of these products!
- Ultra-Face Cream- A great everyday moisturizer. Perfect for any type of skin. I range from oily to dry in certain spots and it has helped in each area!
- Midnight-Recovery Concentrate- This serum is great! It takes time to figure out how much is right for your skin, so start off with three drops on your hand and take it from there!
- Glow Formula (newly released)- This name is perfect for this product. It will brighten your skin and is perfect to put on especially on those lazy days when you don’t want to wear makeup! It will brighten up your complexion, so you are ready to start your day!
520 N. Michigan Avenue
Walking into MAC you feel as you escaped into another world. MAC has everything and anything beauty you can think of. Each section of MAC has its own purpose. From lips, face, eyes, and more you can find a product that works for someone who likes a natural look as well as a bright and bold one. One exclusive feature at the Michigan Avenue MAC location is a build your own makeup palettes opportunity. You can customize your own palettes with eyeshadows and blush, starting off with four pans!
My experience at MAC was defined by great customer service and knowledgeable cosmetologists. MAC is a perfect place for every beauty lover.
- Bronzer- Who doesn’t like to look sun-kissed all year round? MAC gave me some great tips on how to apply bronzer, such as to apply to the check bones, forehead, and nose.
- Brows- Brows have become a new trend in the beauty world. From dark bold brows to natural the brow craze has not stopped. MAC’s tip for great eye brows is to trace your brow and then fill in to give definition to your brow.
540 N. Michigan Avenue
Ulta Beauty's store and salon opened on the Mile last year, which means even more glamour than you could imagine. Ulta Beauty carries a variety of drugstore products and high-end products and offers Ulta Beauty Services as well.
Skin Laundry: This is an exclusive service at the North Michigan Avenue location. Guests can receive the signature 15-minute laser and light facial, an innovative two-step facial that leaves skin clean, clear, and radiant. Plus, your first service is free!
Dermalogica Skin Bar: Licensed, Dermalogica educated skin therapists who are trained to prescribe products choose the best Dermalogica services for your skin needs.
Ulta Salon: Offers all your hair services including cut, color, and style.
Benefit Brow: Visit with licensed professionals who are highly trained in the art of eyebrow shaping. They’re ready to wax, tweeze, primp, and please!
- Skin laundry- This service is on the newer side. It is a quick, easy, and not too painful process. Going in you might think your skin is smooth, but after coming out you will realize just how silky, soft, and dirt free your skin can be. This is a must try!
430 N. Michigan Avenue
Saks Fifth Avenue
Saks Fifth Avenue is an American luxury department store featuring brands from around the world. Saks is always introducing new high-end fashion and products to The Windy City.
My experience at Saks Fifth Avenue was unlike anything I have experienced before. Walking into the department store you feel as if you left a big busy city and escaped into a calm, relaxing, shopping oasis.
I have had some facials in the past, but the one I received at Saks Fifth Avenue was more informative and eye-opening, especially for a young adult who does not realize how fast the skin can change with time. Each product the estheticians used was vital to a daily facial routine. It seemed to work right on the spot!
Leaving the facial I could feel and see a difference in my skin already, and I realized how much more alive I looked and felt.
700 N. Michigan Avenue
Chanel is a privately-owned French Company, which launched their first line of cosmetics in 1924. Chanel is one of the many high-end brands located in Saks.
If you have any professional events to attend, Chanel is the place to go! Every cosmetologist at Chanel was highly experienced as to which product would fit your face and skin type perfectly.
They start with how your skin reacts to makeup and how it behaves on a daily basis: typically normal, oily, or dry skin. They then tap into how much coverage you like and what will look most natural on you.
I would recommend choosing Chanel for your next makeover. Chanel gives you tips and tricks to teach you how to perfectly apply your make up daily and explains why each step is essential to the finished look.
- Base Lumiere: Base Lumiere is an oil-free make up base. It is light on the skin and feels refreshing when applied. I tried this product at my makeover, fell in love, and had to purchase it. Base Lumiere is an essential for every makeup bag!
American Beauty Show
The American Beauty Show comes to Chicago every year. If ever given the chance to attend do so, because you will not regret it. Professional cosmetologists, nail technicians, and estheticians from all over the world attend American Beauty Show to experience superior education and innovation in all aspects of beauty. The mission of the American Beauty Show is to support the industry by educating stylists and non-stylists alike to improve the cosmetology profession.
Walking into the American Beauty Show for the first time is an experience I will never forget. This show is a must-see for all beauty lovers! There is every kind of product, stylist, and brand you can think of in the industry – all in one place. Each brand is there to showcase product, as well as offer tips for how to get the perfect hair and trending looks.
One of the main stages that stuck out to me was Ulta Beauty. Their set up was eye catching yet simple, which was different from other stands and made a big impact. They had their professional stylist team demonstrating how-to’s on hair that can be done for any occasion.