Fri 16 Nov 2018 - Fri 1 Mar 2019
The Maggie Daley Park Skating Ribbon is now open!
In the heart of downtown Chicago, with the City’s skyline as a backdrop, a ribbon of ice winds through a rolling landscape providing an ice skating experience unlike any other. The skating ribbon is dramatically different from typical civic ice rinks, creating a multisensory activity that is integrated into the landscape. Skaters can experience “alpine in the city” as they lace up their ice skates and follow a path twice the length of a lap around a traditional skating rink. Complementing the ribbon are places to enjoy a cup of hot chocolate and rent skates. In the summertime, the Ribbon can be used to watch climbers on the climbing wall.
Skating Ribbon is managed by Westrec Management
Season: Weather permitting, last day of the season will be March 11th
Price: Admission is FREE
- $13/rental Monday-Thursday
- $15/rental Friday-Sunday and Holidays
- Purchase a FAST PASS
- $40/Fast Pass allows you to skip the skate rental line and get skates and locker for one person. Limited quantities available at select times. Only available 72 hours in advance. No refunds.
- $90 package includes skates for two, lockers for two, two cups of hot chocolate, and fast passes **only available for purchase onsite during Skating Ribbon Hours
Parking: Available at Millennium Lakeside Garages
Skate sharpening is NOT available onsite
Skate sizes available are child’s size 8 through men’s size 13.Figure and hockey skates available.Locker space is limited and unattended bags will be removed.
- Monday - Thursday: noon - 8:00 pm
- Friday: noon - 10:00 pm
- Saturday: 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
- Sunday: 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
*Skate rental stops thirty minutes before close
**Accessibility: A skate assist sled is available for use by skaters with physical disabilities and their companion skater
For information on hosting a private holiday or winter skating event, click here.
To learn about FREE holiday events at the Ribbon, like our Annual Skate with Santa, click here.
Skating Ribbon Rules & Regulations:
- Skate carefully at all times
- Follow the instructions of the skate assistants
- Skate only in the direction currently being indicated by the skating assistants
- Speed skating at all times must equal the flow of all other skaters
- Only people wearing skate are allowed on the ice surface
- No more than two (2) people may skate together
The following are not permitted on the ice:
- Skating when ice resurfacing is being completed
- Skating in a manner that endangers of interferes with the enjoyment experienced by other skaters
- Stopping or standing on the ice
- Horseplay, game playing, excessive speed, roughness or skating in a dangerous or potentially dangerous fashion
- Carrying children or secondary items on the ice; handbags, backpacks, cameras, cell phones, portable music players, etc.
- Jumps spins, or skating backwards
- Speed skates (racer blade skates)
- Hockey playing
- Eating or drinking
- Throwing snowballs or other objects at any time
- Sitting on or leaning over the railing
SKATE AT YOUR OWN RISK