Christmas Activities on The Magnificent Mile
The Magnificent Mile encompasses North Michigan Avenue and the surrounding area alongside Lake Michigan and north of the Chicago River. It is a shopping extravaganza, which includes the city’s most exclusive designers and shops, historic museums, widely reviewed restaurants and glamorous hotel accommodations and their incredible views of the city.
Chicago’s best and brightest have storefronts along The Magnificent Mile; Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, American Girl Place and even a giant Lego store for the kids. Nice wide sidewalks are always crowded with shoppers searching for the latest trend or hunting for flash sales at their favorite spots. Other visitors to The Magnificent Mile enjoy a visit to the John Hancock Center, a stroll along Riverwalk or the views from the Michigan Avenue Bridge.
A Day At Mag Mile
One of the best travel destinations in Chicago is The Magnificent Mile in Downtown Chicago located north of the Chicago River and alongside Lake Shore Drive. With hundreds of sights to see, all comfortably nestled in, you won’t be disappointed. There are plenty of iconic attractions, scenic locations, shopping centers and boutiques and fine dining spots to visit.
The Magnificent Mile is also a great place to just walk around and get lost while enjoying the history and architecture of Downtown Chicago. Once you’re hungry The Mile has plenty of renowned restaurants or you can venture into surrounding areas and visit Greek Town or Little Italy for a taste of local cuisines. Come up with your own tour of this incredible part of Chicago, see museums in the morning or do brunch. Whatever you’re into, whether you are single or coming with the kids, a day at Magnificent Mile is an unforgettable experience!
Downtown Chicago Attractions
Once you are here, you’ll find that you can find tons of attractions to visit including the Chicago shopping scene and the Chicago fine dining scene. Head to the top of the John Hancock Observatory where you can get a complete 360-degree view of the city, with interactive screens that provide some keen insights about the city. For those with a sweet tooth a visit to HERSHEY’S Chicago for treats or gifts to take home is a must. You can also spend the day on Navy Pier and take in the rides and exhibitions—or take a cruise. You can also enjoy live music at many locations such as the Chicago Symphony Orchestra or while you have a drink at the Redhead Piano Bar.
If your visit is during the holidays, be sure to enjoy the magic and extravaganza that is the Christmas season in the Windy City.
While visiting The Magnificent Mile, you may be wondering what the shopping experience is like?
You’ll find everything from sportswear, jeans and other casual clothing to the widest selection of luxury fashion on The Magnificent Mile. Get the latest trends at AllSaints or buy a new pair of jeans at the Levi’s Store, and then peruse unique collections at several flagship stores. The ladies can visit LOFT for the latest in style and fashion.
For the men, there’s Hugo Boss, Ralph Lauren, Salvatore Ferragamo and so much more. You’ll also find shops for electronics, pets, sports, shoes, gifts, and home furnishings.
Take a stroll in the area surrounding The Magnificent Mile you can visit intimate specialty boutiques, elegant jewelers and other popular department stores.
Walk around, explore, and get a slice of pizza for lunch at flagship restaurants like Connie’s Pizza or Gino’s East. Tea lovers can make a stop to Argo Tea where your taste buds will be tantalized with teas from around in the world. During Chicago’s warmer winter days you can try some cool gelato at Cafe Gelato and a quick lunch at Burrito Beach where you can enjoy a shrimp taco or a hot&spicy burrito.
Here are some of the many holiday events taking place this season in and around Chicago.
- Start 2014 on the water! Sail with the Odyssey Cruises along the spectacular Chicago coast and enjoy our world-renowned skyline. The Odyssey offers a dinner menu, live entertainment and private seating.
- Winter WonderFest at Navy Pier is an annual family-friendly and free holiday event in Chicago! There are tons of different rides and attractions the whole family can enjoy at Winter Wonderfest in Chicago.
- Beginning in early November, McCormick Tribune Plaza and Ice Rink will open for public sessions. Visitors can bring their skates or rent them for only $10.
- North Michigan Avenue, one of America’s great shopping streets, is at its best during the Christmas season. A million white lights decorate the trees and countless people decorate the sidewalks.
- Christkindlmarket brings a little bit of Germany to downtown Chicago, with authentic activities and daily contests
- Zoo Lights – The Lincoln Park Zoo is decorated to the hilt and there are lots of fun family activities. The best part is that it is free.
- Christmas Around the World- The Museum of Science & Industry decorates more than 50 trees, each from a unique culture.
- The Nutcracker – Even people who are not fans of the ballet will enjoy the music. It is a sophisticated way to spend an evening.
- A Christmas Carol – A favorite Christmas story for many. The Goodman Theater always puts on a top-notch production.
- Tea at The Drake – A relaxing way to take a break from a busy day of shopping on North Michigan Avenue.
- The Poinsettia Show- A tradition at the Lincoln Park Conservatory where hundreds of different colored poinsettias and model trains decorate a section of the conservatory.
All that walking can make a person hungry, so what better way to satisfy your hunger than by stopping in at one of the fine dining establishments on The Magnificent Mile in Downtown Chicago?
No matter what your taste buds crave, The Magnificent Mile probably has it. Chow down on American burgers and fries at the Hard Rock Café while enjoying a live band or try a whiskey or two at Harry Caray’s Tavern. Visit Bub City or Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. for a taste of some of the finest shrimp concoctions around.
Or what about a Latin meal from Moe’s Cantina River North or Nacional 27, where you can sample cuisines from 27 different countries.
There are lots of places to go and things to do on The Magnificent Mile. Visit our website at TheMagnificentMile.com and find out more about current events and sales.